The wargames offered by the OverTheWire community can help you to learn and practice security concepts in the form of fun-filled games. Wargames are a form of ladder challenge.
To find out more about a certain wargame, just visit its page linked from the menu on the left.
If you have a problem, a question or a suggestion, you can join us on IRC.
Suggested order to play the games in
Example to connect to Bandit use the password for level 0 is bandit0
ssh email@example.com -p 2220
- Bandit Will help you learn about regex matching, permission and using Linux with Git.
- Natas Will introduce you to Web Security basics(if you are a beginner it is good)
- Leviathan You will not be so lucky to have hints. Use whatever you have learned in bandit.
- Krypton Field of Cryptography(very basic, Python usage increases)
- Narnia Beginning of binary exploitation (goes above my head)
How to connect?
To get access to the warzone, go to https://warzone.overthewire.org and follow the instructions. (SSL) and request access.
You will receive an OpenVPN config file containing all the information you need to connect to the warzone. On a Linux commandline, you can run the following command as root to connect to the warzone (assuming you named the received file “myconfig.ovpn”):
Of course, in order to use OpenVPN on your computer, you will need to install it first. Use Google to figure out how to install OpenVPN on your Operating System.