The types of computer equipment failures that can occur are:
- Server failure, requires a replacement of server or major component like mother board or power supply. (Down time: at least 24 hours currently)
- Hard drive failure, if the drive is protected in a raid, then we just have to detect the failure, obtain a replacement, and then switch the bad hard drive. (Down time - none if repaired before second drive failure)
- Network router failure, detect the failure and replace the defective router and reprogram. (Down time: at least 24 hours currently) should backup router configuration.
- Network switch failure, detect the failure, if needed move east switch to computer room to bring up basic functionality, reprogram switch.
- Office Printer failure, get printer serviced, if office printer, just use another office printer
- Industrial Printer (used for warehouse labels) failure, get printer serviced.
- Laptop or Desktop failure, call Dell support, if out of warrantee uy replacement, recommend having a spare laptop always on site.
- Application corruption, restore from last good backup. (see data protection)
- Database corruption, restore from last good backup, Fishbowl database backed up to NAS?
Recovery from Backup
- The NAS has a nightly automated backup of the Fishbowl database
- AWS has a periodic manual snapshot of the Windows and Linux virtual servers.
- Quickbooks has been manually backed up to the NAS twice in December 2018, cannout automate backup of the application, recommend disk level backup solution (see data protection)
- External Web site, call Godaddy to restore from backup, they do not promise protection of the web site nor of the backups, should have a local copy as well.
- PHP Code, source code stored on developer's personal laptop. Production copy is on the Linux server.