I recently found out about the v2 motherboard upgrade (Motherboard V4.2.7 with TMC2225) for the Ender 3. It is a great idea and not very expensive or hard to do. The reasons for doing the upgrade are you replace the 8 bit board with a 32 bit board and the new board comes with Silent stepper motor drivers. They may the printer run silent except for the power supply fan which I added a cover over to quite down some.
Then I found out the new board supports the BLTouch and filament sensor connectors so I thought great I will just buy a BLTouch and plug it in because I always wanted to have self leveling. If I had know everything needed to do this up front to install the BLTouch it might have scared me away. In addition to purchasing the BLTouch I needed a 1.5 meter extension cable (which I made for 22 gauge wire) and I needed to upgrade the firmware and enable the BLTouch. (To do this I had to install VSCode and you need to install the PlatformIO IDE extension for VS Code prior to building.)
- 1x Original Antclabs BLTouch Auto Bed Leveling Sensor (V3.1) - http://bit.ly/2P22i4U
- 1x BLTouch Extension Cable SM-DU 1,5m - http://bit.ly/38QIwjQ
- 1x BLTouch Mount (3D Printed) - http://bit.ly/3eQGHHo
- 2x Screws M3x6 6-8x Cable Ties
- Firmware Upgrade for BLTouch: http://bit.ly/3bViuhg
In the end these two videos to be the most helpful to get the BLTouch working:
- ENDER3 4.2.7 SILENT BOARD UPGRADE FIRMWARE - PART 2 INSTALLATION - BLTOUCH 3.1 - MICROSWISS DD
- ENDER3 4.2.7 SILENT BOARD UPGRADE - PART 3 - TROUBLE SHOOT BLTOUCH 3.1 - MICROSWISS DD
I also reviewed this video but it did not match very well as it is for a Ender 3 V2 and I just had an Ender 3 (with the old display screen)
I had everything correct, new firmware, cabling but the BLTouch would not initialize, finally I pushed the connectors on to the board much harder and tried again and it all worked!